Product Development Manager
Product Development Manager is required by established, world leading chemical / medical device manufacturing company based on the borders or Essex/Hertfordshire.
You will be responsible for the effective deployment of departmental resources to coordinate the development and delivery of new engineering-based projects and processes for all areas of the business.
The ideal candidate needs to have a significant post graduate experience, along with experience gained in a technical management capacity in a similar industry.
Applicant will need to have excellent project management skills and experience in bringing new products from concept to market.
- Significant post graduate experience
- Educated to degree standard - Mechanical / Chemical Engineering with several years' relevant practical management experience or similar discipline
- A strong understanding of process and product design techniques with a demonstrable track record of successful, on time, introductions of new products from concept to market using a formal NPD procedure (working through stage gates or TRL's for example) in a highly regulated environment such as ISO 9001, BS13485 in terms of personal responsibility and achievement
- A solid history of change management success
- Numerate with strong analytical skills and excellent knowledge of techniques such as 3D CAD, mathematical modelling FEA, CFD; FMECA, QFD
- Well-developed project management skills using PM software such as MSP or Prince II
- Experience of compiling technical dossiers and files in support of FDA 510(k) and CE marking submissions
- Good working knowledge of production costing and bill of material maintenance
- Good understanding of information systems and standard Office software packages
Duties & Responsibilities
- To take responsibility for, and ensure full departmental compliance with all company and legislative Health, Safety and Environmental requirements
- To optimise the quality, cost, delivery and safety performance of the department in its delivery of new products and processes
- To lead, motivate and develop staff, ensuring that they are well informed and have ownership of their responsibilities
- Set annual production budget with agreement of the Managing Director and Finance Director
- Control departmental budget to meet agreed annual budget and correct any overspends
- Work with others in the business to identify cost savings and propose and implement project/initiatives to achieve those savings
- Undertake the comprehensive departmental planning of all resources, human and mechanical to achieve budgeted output
- Create, agree, communicate and manage the objectives and KPIs for the department
- Liaise with the Operations Team in order to seamlessly manage the introduction of new product and process into mainstream manufacture
- Work with the Sales department to ensure that adequate technical information is supplied by potential customers such that accurate proposals can be supplied at the RFQ stage
- Support the sales team as required in exhibitions and meetings
- Ensure that projects are introduced through a stage gate project management process that will pass audit from external regulatory authorities
- Ensure that projects are managed with technical rigour using all techniques available e.g. 3D CAE, FEA, CFD, rapid prototyping etc.
- Implement and manage appropriate statistical collection and analysis systems and use the information to guide appropriate action to improve performance
- Ensure that all product details are captured in the company ERP system and to further ensure that the integrity of this data is preserved, organise and oversee data
- Ensuring that housekeeping standards are raised to and maintained at world class levels throughout the department and associated development areas
- Support the development the year technical road-map in support of the business development goals
Salary Guide: £55,000 - £65,000 pa + benefits
Location: Harlow, Essex/Herts border
Full job description available upon application. To apply please email us your CV along with your salary expectation.
Sorry that we cannot contact all of you personally, but thanks in advance for your interest.
Due to the high level of applications we receive every day, we can only respond to applicants whose skills and qualifications are suitable for this position.